For a long time I believed that all furniture in one room had to be made from the same wood and be from the same furniture range. I have more recently become aware that this is not true! There are no rules that state this and incorporating contrasting styles of furniture and accessories into a room adds texture and can bring a room to life. My house is definitely a mixture of styles and none of it was entirely planned or possibly to anyone’s other than my taste but I’m quite happy with it! Using a mixture of styles also makes it easier for a room to evolve as trends and your tastes change- bits can be added or removed without having to start from scratch or redecorate.
There are rules that need to be followed when attempting to combine modern and vintage or retro style furniture otherwise you’ll end up with a crazy, headache inducing eclectic hotch potch of a room!
Number one is to go for a neutral backdrop- greys, creams or whites then add interest with your furnishings. This will also ensure any statement pieces will really stand out and will not be lost within the room.
So number two is the 80:20 rule. As long as you stick to a modern style for 80% of your furnishings the other 20% can be made up with either vintage or retro. Maybe try pairing a modern contemporary table with some retro style chairs? Or vice versa a retro desk with a modern contemporary chair?
Number three- make sure that the 20% vintage/retro items are evenly distributed throughout the room. One random piece of French vintage furniture may look a bit odd amongst its modern counterparts however dotting some French vintage style accessories such as a lamp or jug on these modern pieces will help!
Number four- don’t mix ornate styles such as Chinese or baroque with simple styles such as arts and crafts or Danish retro. They do not mix well!
And finally number five- make sure every piece of furniture and accessory is beautiful in it’s own right.
I read somewhere that a successful space should be made up of smaller vignettes, meaning that if you took photos of random areas of a room each one should be an exquisite snap shot.
For inspiration visit my board on Pinterest specifically made for the mixing of retro/vintage and modern furniture.